What Is Google My Business?
Google My Business is a free tool offered by Google that allows business owners to control their presence on Google Search and Google Maps. You can register your website with Google, add your location, opening hours, photos, and more. You can also check out and reply to customer reviews, as well as adding your menu for people to see as soon as they look you up on Google. To optimize Google My Business for your restaurant is to expose your business to as many people as possible.
Google My Business Claim Ownership
Before you learn how to improve restaurant operations by using GMB, you have to claim ownership of your business. What does claiming a business on Google mean? It means you’ll have the authority to edit the listing and add any information you want about your restaurant.
Chances are your business is already on Google, so you won’t have to add it, just claim it. If it’s not, follow these steps to learn how to add a business to Google Maps and Google Search. To claim it, you just need to verify your identity.
However, after an unsuccessful attempt to claim it, you might say, “Well, someone else verified my business on Google, so what do I do now?” The next steps involve requesting ownership of that profile, which you can do following these instructions.
Is Google My Business Worth It?
Have you ever heard the phrase: if it’s not on the first page of Google, it doesn't exist?
Having a presence on Google My Business is more than worth it. Learning how to optimize your Google My Business page for your restaurant website has become a necessity. If you’re not up there, your customers don’t know about you. They don’t buy from you. And hence, your sales are not quite where you’d want them to be.
However, creating your own Google business account and filling it in with real-life information puts you where most restaurant owners aspire to be: on Google Maps.
Many business owners don’t know how to get noticed on Google for free, which is a legitimate opportunity. They may understand the importance of starting a GMB profile and adding basic info. Still, they don’t know that they can use the service to attract more customers & increase their revenues.
Over the next few sections, you’ll learn more about the benefits of Google my Business for restaurants and how to optimize your Google Places page. Have the following questions “why is my business not showing up on Google Search?” or “why is my business not showing up on Google Maps?” popped to mind? Then you should know that it only takes a few minutes to:
- rank higher on Google Maps
- learn how to get your business to show up on Google first
- and bring more paying customers through your doors
So, how to get your business seen on Google? Let’s go through a couple of Google My Business hacks.
How To Get Your Business On Google Front Page:
Start With the Basics Before You Move to Advanced Optimization
When you open a Google My Business profile, the service will prompt you to give it some necessary information about your restaurant.
Do not skip any of these steps! Doing so will lower your visibility on Google’s search engine and prevent potential customers from finding your location.
Some of the basic information that you need to provide include:
- Your business’s category (example: “restaurant: pizza delivery”).
- Your address.
- Your contact information, including phone numbers, email address, and website URL.
- Your business hours.
Your restaurant’s Google My Business ranking depends on the accuracy of the information you put in there. Sure, you can edit your Google business listing later by going into your Google My Business dashboard. However, it’s best to have accurate information out there from the very beginning.
To check your Google rank, you can use a Google My Business ranking checker like the one from SERanking.
How To Make Your Business Visible on Google Maps When You Have a Multi-Location Restaurant
Do you have multiple locations & want to know how to get your business higher on Google Maps? Consider creating unique profiles for each of your Google My Business locations.
Adding each separate Google business location will make it easier for customers to find you online and on Google Maps. It will also let you provide specific details (such as daily specials, promotions, and hours of operation) for each location.
Make sure you double-check all of the details that you provide. A lot of third-party sites use Google My Business to give people all the information they request. Anything inaccurate on your profile could spread to other websites. This means misleading information could reach more of your customers and potentially bring your sales numbers down.
Labels are also useful when it comes to multiple restaurant locations. First, what are labels in Google My Business? Also known as tags, they help you organize your many listings. Each listing can have up to 10 labels, which you can use when creating a Google ad. For instance, if you want to promote just your location in Manhattan, you might use the label “Manhattan” to reach more local users.
How To Get Your Business Higher On Google Search:
Add Attractive Content That Will Tempt New Customers
Google My Business for restaurants lets you add quite a bit of content that will tempt new customers to try your food.
You can update your Google business listing and make it more attractive by adding:
- Beautiful pictures of your restaurant and menu items.
- Your Google My Business restaurant menu and daily specials.
- Videos that show how friendly and professional your staff members are.
- A profile pic that makes your restaurant look irresistible (such as the front of your restaurant or the most popular item on your menu).
- Google My Business events that you’re organizing at your restaurant.
- Links to your restaurant reviews.
- Links to your social media profiles.
Spend most of your time posting visual content like photos and videos. More than 80% of online communication relies on visual elements. Photos and videos also communicate a lot of information quickly, which matters in a world where people are surrounded by constant distractions and whose attention span has dropped tremendously.
Would you rather read a description of a burger or see a picture of the dish, instead? More importantly, which option would make your mouth water?
Read more: Why Food Photography Is Important for Your Restaurant Website and Menu
Replicate These Google My Business Posts Best Practices
Google My Business posts SEO is an excellent addition to your overall SEO efforts, so posting on GMB and optimizing your posts is a great idea. These posts can be news, offers, product updates, or events, and they show up at the bottom of your Google business profile. Below are some Google My Business posts examples to show you how they would look on your profile.
Next, here are some GMB posts best practices to get you started:
- Keep it short: Your content should draw attention with carefully worded phrases or relevant information that provides value to the reader. Use between 150 and 300 characters.
- Use media: Photos and videos will make your content pop, and users click on your posts.
- Choose the correct post type: What you can include in your Google My Business posts (titles, photos, videos) depends on the kind of post you select. Choose carefully.
- Post often: GMB posts disappear after a week, so you have to keep the content fresh by posting regularly. Once a week should be enough.
- Include a call-to-action: your ultimate goal with Google My Business posts is to get users to visit your restaurant website. To do that, add an engaging call to action like “learn more,” “buy,” or “book online.”
Craft a Great Google Business Description
Your Google My Business restaurant description will appear on your listing under the reviews. You have a chance to use it to highlight what your restaurant excels at. What sets you apart? What do you offer that’s unique as a local business? Here are some Google business description examples to use as inspiration
Test Out These Google Maps SEO Tips
- Strive to get many Google reviews: The more reviews your restaurant has, the more likely it is to appear in Google Maps. These reviews show Google your restaurant is popular and well-liked.
- Submit your restaurant to local directories: This will give you more backlinks and citations, which will increase your chances of getting featured in Google Maps. Some of the most popular local directories are Yelp, Local.com, and iBegin. Read more about how to rank high on Yelp in our complete Yelp restaurant marketing guide.
- Submit your restaurant info to data aggregators to get even more links and citations. Get started with Neustar Localeze and Express Update.
Need help optimizing your Google My Business account? We have streamlined the Google My Business process in our system, so you can optimize your business with just a few clicks Start Here
How to Grow Your Restaurant Business by Communicating With Customers
When you optimize Google My Business for your restaurant, you should pay close attention to Google My Business reviews that you get from customers. Ideally, you should get a few 5-star reviews every month. The more positive reviews you get, the more other people will want to try your food.
However, don’t just let positive reviews sit on your profile. Use the opportunity to communicate with your customers and thank the people who leave them. They’re doing you a great favor!
If you get a negative review, use the opportunity to apologize and ask for more feedback. You can’t make everyone happy, but you can use negative reviews as a chance to show your focus on improving customer experience.
How to Get Followers on Google My Business
Before we tell you how to get more people to follow you on GMB, let’s see: what are Google My Business followers? They are people who get a notification when you come up with a new offer or update. This feature is available only on the Google Maps app in most countries. You can see your followers in the Google My Business app.
Here is what we recommend to get more Google Maps followers: offer a discount to new followers that pops up as soon as they tap the “follow” button. This will encourage them to share the news with their friends and family and get more people to follow you.
How to Add a Preferred Link to Your Google My Business Page
The “preferred by this business” option allows you to highlight a link that you want (preferably one to your own website) on your Google My Business page. This can help you combat issues like food delivery portals adding an ordering link to your page without permission and users being tempted to order from there. The preferred link lets them know they should, ideally, place the order directly on your website. Follow these steps to add a preferred link to your GMB page:
1. Log in to your account and choose the restaurant location for which you want to do this (if you have more than one registered).
2. Click on “Info” in the left-side menu.
3. Edit the link by clicking on the pencil icon.
4. Copy and paste the link to the box, and click “Apply.”
5. To mark this link as preferred, click on the star icon right next to it.
How to Stop Third-Party Delivery Apps from Hijacking Your Brand
Some third-party delivery companies have an agreement with Google to work together to provide online ordering services to customers. What this means is that sometimes, you may see third-party ordering links appear on your GMB profile automatically and without someone having contacted you to ask for permission.
Unfortunately, you can’t remove these links directly from Google My Business. The bad news is that these companies make it seem like they’re working with you directly, even though that’s not true. This way, they are hijacking your brand and essentially stealing from you by directing customers to their platform, so they can get a commission out of every sale
So, what can you do? Get in touch with the third-party provider and ask them to take their link down. However, these companies are sneaky and can offer replies like “Only Google can remove this link” (completely false) or “Yes, we will do this but the employee in charge is currently on vacation” (sounds convenient, right?). They might also lie and say that if they remove the link, you also have to stop using their portal for your restaurant.
The key is to insist, send them a detailed email with your request, and then give them another call. Do not accept any intervention if it’s not explicitly written, so you have proof that they promised to take the link down and, very importantly, never re-add it again.
Some restaurants have found themselves required to send a cease and desist letter. You can send one yourself using this model.
If nothing else works, it’s probably for the best to remove your restaurant from these platforms entirely because they definitely don’t have your best interests at heart.
Optimize Google My Business for Your Restaurant & Enjoy Its Multiple Benefits
It takes a little effort to improve your restaurant’s GMB page. If you follow the Google My Business tips and tricks above, though, you can expect to get a lot in return.
Some of the top benefits of optimizing your restaurant’s Google My Business page include:
- Maintaining consistent, accurate information across your profiles - thus enabling your customers to find you easily.
- Increasing traffic to your restaurant’s website.
Learn how to increase restaurant website traffic for online ordering.
- Helping customers locate your restaurant for dining in & delivery orders.
- Using Google My Business SEO practices to get your restaurant business to show up on Google first.
- Learning how to register your business on Google Maps - so customers can immediately spot your restaurant on the map when searching for “restaurants near me.”
- Attracting more customers with photos and videos.
- Accessing analytics that shows you how to rank higher on Google Maps and how to make your restaurant website appear on the first page of Google.
Consider that it only takes an hour or two to learn how to optimize a Google My Business profile. Thus, you can’t afford to let this great local search marketing opportunity pass you by.
Get Help Optimizing Your Google My Business Account
GloriaFood can provide you with all of the Google My Business support that you need. We can share with you all the knowledge you need to optimize Google My Business for your restaurant. Alternatively, we can do it for you at no cost.
We have experience working with thousands of restaurants, so we’ll help your business get more online visibility and hence, more online orders. Whether you have an ice cream parlor in San Francisco or a pizza delivery business in NYC, we’ll show you how to be first on Google search for free.
If you ever need any assistance in discovering the answer to how to be found on Google, reach out to us for help. Do you feel like you don’t have time to optimize your restaurant’s Google My Business page? We’re happy to offer you our free Google My Business optimization service and Google Maps optimization service.
Simply click on the blue-chat button located in the bottom right corner of the screen to get in touch with our Customer Success Team.
Why a 100% Complete Listing is so Important
- Verify your location(s)
- Entering complete data.
- Keeping your hours accurate.
- Add photos.
Provide information like, but not limited to, your:
- Physical address.
- Phone number.
- Fully populate your profile.
- Fill in your business description.
- Keep your hours updated.
- Choose the right business categories.
- Select all applicable attributes.
- Verify your location.
Encourage & Respond to Customer Reviews
Since online reviews heavily influence customer behavior, it's considered a best practice to have reviews on your Google My Business listing. Your rating (zero to five stars) is also displayed on your listing, and this is based off customer reviews.
The approximate CPC is $2. 6,600 searches times $2 cost per click times a 30% Click Thru Rate = $3,960. So using the Google tools, we can estimate that we'd pay $3,960 per month to be the #1 listing on Google for “Salon Nashville.” The annual value of that #1 ranking on Google would be $47,520.How can I improve my business on Google for free? ›
- Write Useful Content. ...
- Get Attributes Mentioned in Reviews. ...
- Mention Special Features in Your Google My Business Description. ...
- Mention Specific Features on Your Website. ...
- Perform Local SEO. ...
- List Your Business on Directories. ...
- Publish Unique Content on Your Internal Data.
A study by the Spiegel Research Center determined that ratings of 4.2 - 4.5 are the most trusted. This is a great goal to aim for, and realistic as well. Mistakes happen in every business in every industry. It's a waste of time to stress over a single negative review or an unattainable perfect rating.How can I improve my Google ranking fast? ›
- Start With A Sound Foundation. Poor website structure and information architecture can doom even the best SEO campaigns. ...
- Deliver A Great Page Experience. ...
- Optimize Your Pages For Google. ...
- Optimize For Search Intent. ...
- Optimize Internal Links.
Do Google Ads Work for Restaurants? Absolutely Google Ads work. Remember this about Google – it's the first place people go to find a restaurant near them. No other marketing tactic provides access to a constant stream of pre-qualified leads 24 hours a day, 7 days per week like Google.What is the best SEO strategy in 2022? ›
- Tip 1: Use Google Operators to Find Content Ideas.
- Tip 2: Use Original Quotes in Articles.
- Tip 3: Keep Your Content Fresh & Updated.
- Tip 4: Perform In-Depth On-Page SEO Audits.
- Tip 5: Implement Content Clusters.
- Tip 6: Add a FAQ Section to Your Articles.
- Ask for Google reviews. ...
- Add a review link to your website or thank-you email. ...
- Provide excellent customer service. ...
- Respond to your existing Google reviews. ...
- Share your positive reviews. ...
- Invest in review generation tools. ...
- Frequently update your Google Business Profile.
- Focus on UX.
- Use Internal Linking.
- Focus on Entity-Based SEO.
- Recreate Blog Posts as Videos.
- Get on Google Discover.
- Update Existing Content.
- Optimize Content for Voice Search.
- Drive Traffic with Long-tail Keywords.
Google's local ranking factors are perfect guides for businesses to boost your chances of making it to the 3-pack and appear on the knowledge graph on SERPs. There are three main factors: Relevance, Distance and Prominence.What are three automation best practices for Google ads? ›
- Audit conversion actions. ...
- Add first-party audience lists to campaigns (Customer Match, RLSA, Similar Audiences) ...
- Implement a non-last-click attribution model. ...
- Give the AI some room.
All the digital marketing solutions from Google Ads are based on three essential principles: relevance, control and results.How do I get my first 10000 visitors on Google? ›
- SEO - unlock more SEO traffic. See real results.
- Content Marketing - our team creates epic content that will get shared, get links, and attract traffic.
- Paid Media - effective paid strategies with clear ROI.
No, you cannot pay Google to rank higher. Neither can you pay Google for SEO. If someone or – worse – some SEO agency or SEO specialist is claiming that you can pay Google to rank higher and that they have the capacity to do, run the other way round. This is just one of many SEO myths circulating the internet.How many words do you need to rank on Google? ›
We advise writing more than 300 words for regular posts or pages, while product descriptions should be over 200 words. Why is that? A higher word count helps Google better understand what your text is about. And, generally speaking, Google tends to rank longer articles higher.How do I increase sales on Google? ›
- Add Negative Keywords to your Campaigns. ...
- Test your Keyword Match Types for your Campaigns. ...
- Increase your Budget with Long-Tail Keywords. ...
- Audit your Keywords and Remove Duplicates. ...
- Audit your Landing Page Relevance. ...
- Combine and Test Ad Groups with RLSAs.
- Create a Personal Profile In Addition to Your Business Page. ...
- Treat Your Google Plus Page Like a Micro Blog, and Post Valuable Content. ...
- Add Relevant People and Businesses to Your Circles. ...
- Engage with Other Users In a Meaningful Way.
- Reach your marketing goals. ...
- Target your ads with keywords. ...
- Get specific about your target audience. ...
- Only pay for results. ...
- Measure your ad's performance. ...
- Advertise across platforms.
To ask Google to remove or delete an inappropriate review from your Business Profile, report the review. Google can remove reviews that violate Google's policies. Important: Before you ask to remove or delete a review, read our reviews policy.How do I get 100% Google reviews? ›
- 10 Ways to Get More Google Reviews. ...
- Ask Customers Directly for Feedback. ...
- Send a Follow-Up Email. ...
- Leave Behind a Leave-Behind. ...
- Add a Review Link to Your Website to Get More Google Reviews. ...
- Follow-Up Your Customers Multiple Times. ...
- Keep Your Cool When You Get a Bad Review.
But it's also helpful if you have more reviews than your competitors (and depending on your industry, your competitors may have quite a few reviews). And if you have an online store and you want your Google seller rating to show up in Ad campaigns, you'll need 150 unique reviews and at least a 3.5-star rating.How do you become #1 on Google? ›
- To follow Google Webmaster SEO Quality Guidelines.
- A website reputation for publishing original, useful and relevant content.
- A satisfying user-friendly page experience for visitors from search.
- Keyword research. Keyword research lays the foundation for optimizing your site. ...
- Site structure. ...
- SEO content audit. ...
- Content creation, optimization, and on-page SEO. ...
- Link earning. ...
- Social media. ...
- Track performance.
According to seo.co, it can take anywhere from three to six months to rank on the first page of Google, assuming that you're writing good content and optimizing your website for search engines. If there's high competition or you haven't optimized your website, it may take six to 12 months to see results.How much should I spend on Google Ads per day? ›
If you're a beginner, try an average daily budget of US$10 to US$50. Check your account daily after applying a new budget to see how your campaigns have performed. You can set a shared budget with the amount you're willing to spend across multiple campaigns for the same client.How do I promote my food business on Google? ›
- Add your restaurant description. ...
- Select the appropriate business attributes. ...
- Ensure the operating hours are accurate. ...
- Add a reservation link. ...
- Upload photos of your restaurant and food. ...
- Respond to customer reviews. ...
- Add an FAQ section.
Google Ads is better for quick, top of the page results and SEO is better for long-term Google ranking. If budget is more of a concern and time is not then SEO is better. If you want to be at the top of the first-page search result like next week then Google Ads is better for you.
The 'Golden Rule” of SEO is: Understand your customers' needs and create an SEO experience that satisfies those needs - from the search result listing, to the first impression the visitor gets when landing on the page, to the ability for the visitor to quickly and easily find the content she is looking for.What are the 3 pillars of SEO? ›
The Three Pillars Of SEO: Authority, Relevance, And Experience.What happens if you get too many Google reviews at once? ›
Does Google Remove Reviews? Yes, Google does sometimes remove reviews, though it's not very often. Unlike Yelp, Google quickly realized that removing too many reviews might alienate their users and discourage them from posting new reviews.How many 5 star reviews do I need Google? ›
Your goal should be to get to a 5 star overall score as fast as possible. To do that, you'll need 25 more 5-star reviews. And when google updates your review score you will have 5 stars.Why is my Google star rating not going up? ›
If you're wondering why your review score average on Google doesn't match up with the actual reviews left on the listing, the likely reason is that the score doesn't update in real-time and you need to wait a few days for it to reflect the average after new reviews have been left.What are the 5 SEO factors? ›
Top 5 On Page SEO Factors
- On Page SEO Factor 1 – Keyword Research: ...
- On Page SEO Factor 2 – URL Optimization: ...
- On Page SEO Factor 3 – Meta Tags: ...
- On Page SEO Factor 4 – Header Tags: ...
- On Page SEO Factor 5 – Content Optimization:
- Step #1: Improve Your On-Site SEO.
- Step #2: Add LSI Keywords To Your Page.
- Step #3: Monitor Your Technical SEO.
- Step #4: Match Your Content to Search Intent.
- Step #5: Reduce Your Bounce Rate.
- Step #6: Find Even Keywords to Target.
- Step #7: Publish Insanely High-Quality Content.
Word-of-mouth advertising is considered the most effective form. It has the desired qualities of strong credibility, high audience attention levels, and friendly audience reception.What are two commonly used programs in Google Merchant Center? ›
- Simprosys Google Shopping Feed.
- Manual CPC Bidding. ...
- Maximize Clicks. ...
- Target CPA (Cost Per Acquisition) ...
- Target ROAS (Return On Ad Spend) ...
- Maximize Conversions. ...
- Maximize Conversion Value. ...
- Enhanced Cost Per Click (ECPC) ...
- tCPM Bidding (Target Cost Per Thousand Impressions)
- Don't Pick Broad or Irrelevant Keywords. ...
- Don't Underestimate the Influence of your Landing Page. ...
- Don't Focus on Outbidding your Competition. ...
- Don't Smash All Keywords into a Single Ad Group. ...
- When You Must Use General Keywords Make Sure You Use An Extensive Negative Keywords List.
- Grab the attention of viewers.
- Encourage them to take action.
- Outline the benefit of doing so.
Some of the most common advertising techniques include emotional appeal, bandwagon pressuring (AKA bandwagon advertising), endorsements and social proof as well as weasel words.How do I get my business #1 on Google? ›
- Add essential info. Add information like your phone number, operating hours, and health and safety measures, so customers know what to expect.
- Share photos, your logo, and more. ...
- Show who you are.
On the Google My Business app, click "Call me now". An automated message will provide the code, which you should enter into the app, then click the arrow symbol. You have now verified your Business Profile on Google. A limited number of businesses will be able to verify by email.How do you get your business to rank number 1 on Google? ›
- Be consistent with name and address.
- Use a local phone number.
- Include your tracked and main number.
- Keep your hours updated.
- Write a business description.
- Properly categorize your business.
Choose your Google Workspace pricing plan. Try it free for 14 days. Google Workspace plans start as low as $6 per user per month for Business Starter, $12 per user per month for Business Standard, and $18 per user per month for Business Plus.Where do I add keywords to Google My Business? ›
- Relevant business categories.
- Add keywords to your business description.
- Leverage the products / services feature by adding keywords.
- Create a free GMB site that contains keywords.
- Publish posts with relevant keywords.
- Include keywords in business attributes.
On-page SEO checklist. On-page SEO is the process of optimizing the actual content on your page. It includes optimizations made to visible content and content in the source code. Let's look at how to do it.How do I boost my Google page? ›
- Improve your website's user experience. ...
- Write great content optimized for SEO. ...
- Get more backlinks. ...
- Improve your page speed. ...
- Fix broken links. ...
- Optimize your images. ...
- Use H1 and H2 header tags. ...
- Optimize for local search.
Google Guarantee costs $50 a month to verified business owners; this only applies to becoming a Google Guaranteed business. This certification will position your business in an upgraded profile within the Google My Business listings.Can anyone get Google verified? ›
Any person, organization, sports team, event and media property with a Knowledge Panel is eligible to get verified and suggest edits to the information shown. Simply search for your name or organization on Search and click or tap the prompt below the Knowledge Panel to begin the verification process.Should I claim my Google knowledge panel? ›
Successfully claiming your knowledge panel means you'll have access to your Google business profile, which will allow you to manage your online presence (including search and maps) across Google.How do I get more followers on Google my business? ›
- Create a Personal Profile In Addition to Your Business Page. ...
- Treat Your Google Plus Page Like a Micro Blog, and Post Valuable Content. ...
- Add Relevant People and Businesses to Your Circles. ...
- Engage with Other Users In a Meaningful Way.
Buying Google reviews violates Google's guidelines
Not only is it against Google's guidelines for businesses to offer incentives for reviews, but the company also prohibits any content with a conflict of interest.